Our History

May 28, 1912

  • County bankers met and discussed the need for agriculture development and how they should have a Farm Advisor in McHenry County

September 14, 1912

  • Farmers, bankers, and educators held their first meeting

January 1913

  • Editors in McHenry County work on the "Soil Improvement Association" idea, which later became the temporary name of the organization

March 28, 1922

  • The name of "Soil Improvement Association" was changed to the "McHenry County Farm Bureau"--this was the 3rd county in the state to organize a Farm Bureau

February 12, 1945

  • The 1st move was made towards establishing the current Farm Bureau building

April 10, 1947

  • A plan was accepted that the "Woodstock Journal" was a foundation for one of the outstanding county Farm Bureau publications

November 10, 1947

  • Farm Bureau board members were authorized to purchase 10 acres of land at McConnell Road and Route 47 with the understanding that part will be sold to the Service Company

June 10, 1948

  • The Service Company built new facilities at McConnell Road and Route 47

January 1950

  • The McHenry County Farm Bureau news was now reported in the Sentinel, due to the sale of the Journal
  • McHenry County Farm Bureau Supply Company's name is changed to McHenry County Farm Bureau Building Corporation

September 29, 1962

  • The McHenry County Farm Bureau dedicated its new home at McConnell Road and Route 47

1988

  • The McHenry County Farm Bureau organized an Agriculture Expo to reach out to over 3000 students

1991

  • The Women's Committee Representative became a position on the McHenry County Farm Bureau Board of Directors

2003

  • The University of Illinois Extension moved into the Farm Bureau building

History provided by Don Peasley